Need a Simple and Affordable Chicken Recipe?
By Ashley Cairns
Without doubt, one of the most filling and satisfying meals that we can eat in the evening is chicken. As the most popular of poultry and white meats, chicken is a versatile food product that we can use in so many different ways. White meats, though, can be hard to cook with if you are unsure about where to begin. With that in mind, I have put together a simple and affordable chicken recipe that you should definitely try out.
This is affordable, healthy and won’t take up your whole evening in the kitchen! Sounds good? Then, let us tuck into the recipe below.
The best broccoli and parmesan chicken soup you will ever taste!
If you want to find a chicken recipe that can feed multiple people and is sure to give them a nice nutritional kick, try out my Broccoli and Parmesan Chicken Soup. This is a favourite in my household. It’s a recipe that has been shared with great success with many other households too. So, this is how you make this delicious soup.
What do you need?
First off, you should try and pick up all of the following ingredients for a 4-serving helping:
- 1 finely chopped onion.
- 2lb of broccoli, or as close as you can get in size.
- 2c. of shredded rotisserie chicken.
- ½c. of grated Parmesan cheese.
- 4c of chicken broth (preferably low sodium).
- 3c of baby spinach.
- 1tbsp. of lemon zest.
- 3tbsp. of lemon juice.
- 1tbsp. of olive oil.
- Salt and pepper.
After preparing the ingredients, this should give you everything that you need to make this awesome soup!
So, what do I do?
- Start off by cutting up the broccoli into small sections. Try and thin the stem as much as you can, too.
- Once you do this, get a pot to medium heat and heat some olive oil in there.
- Then, add in the garlic and the onion to this, and leave to sizzle for a minute or two.
- Also, add in the broccoli stems and season it with around 1 ½ teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Allow this to cook for around 3 minutes, and then add in the florets from your broccoli with ½ cup water.
- Then, cover this over and steam until for around 5 minutes. Once done, transfer half the mixture to a bowl.
- Now, add in the chicken broth and the baby spinach – allow to simmer for around 10 minutes.
- Next, add in your Parmesan cheese, your lemon zest, and your lemon juice. Puree with a blender, after.
- Once done, stir in your shredded rotisserie chicken and the broccoli florets which are left over.
- Finally, serve and enjoy!
Voila! A perfect, simple and affordable chicken soup! Certainly, a single bowl with around 350 calories of the good stuff, should give you ample energy for whatever is to come this evening. Whether you are attending spin class, heading out for a walk, or simply just going to power through some late-night work, this soup is sure to give you all of the energy and zest that you need to get things done in good time. Most importantly, this is a delicious soup that won’t hurt your pocket!